§ You breathe about 10 million times a year.
人一年呼吸大約一億次。
§ You breathe in about 7 quarts of air every minute. Good thing it's free.
人每分鐘呼吸 7 夸脫 (約 16 公升) 的空氣。 還好不用錢。
§ Right-handed people live, on average, nineyears longer than left-handed people.
右撇子的壽命比左撇子平均長九年。
§ The liver performs over 500 different functions.
肝臟有五百種以上的功能。
§ There are approx. 550 hairs in the eyebrow.
一邊的眉毛大約有 550 根。
§ The human body weighs forty times more than the brain.
人體的重量大約是大腦的 40 倍以上。
§ Your brain weighs about three pounds, but over two pounds of that is water.
人類大腦大約三磅 (約 1400 克) 重, 但兩磅 (約 900 克) 以上是水。
§ If you were freeze dried, like coffee, 90% of your weight would be the real you, and 10% would be the little critters that call your body their home.
如果把人像咖啡一樣冷凍脫水, 剩下的重量裡只有 90% 是真正的你, 其他的 10% 都是寄生性動物。
§ Smelling bananas and/or green apples (smelling, not eating) can help you lose weight.
聞嗅香蕉及/或青蘋果的氣味 (是聞而不是吃) 可以使人減重。
§ You can't kill yourself by holding your breath. At worst, you would lose consciousness and the lungs would start to breath automatically.
人類無法憋氣自殺。 頂多你會失去知覺, 最後肺還是會自動繼續呼吸。
§ If you sneeze too hard, you can fracture a rib.
打噴嚏太用力的話肋骨可能會骨折。
§ A sneeze can travel as fast as 100 miles per hour.
噴嚏打出來的時速高達 100 MPH (時速 161 公里)。
§ A sneeze travels out your mouth at over 600 MPH.
打噴嚏的氣流速度超過 600 MPH (時速 966 公里)。
小毛註: 上面兩則來自不同資料, 不知道是哪一種噴嚏, 請自行決定要相信哪一個。
§ If you try to suppress a sneeze, you can rupture a blood vessel in your head or neck and die.
但忍住不打噴嚏可能會使腦中或頸部的血管破裂而死。
§ People say "Bless you" when you sneeze because when you sneeze, your heart stops for a millisecond.
打噴嚏時旁人會說 "上帝保佑你", 因為你打噴嚏時心臟會暫停百分之一秒。
§ It's impossible to sneeze and to keep ones eye's open at the same time. If you keep your eyes open by force, they can pop out.
睜著眼睛是打不出噴嚏的。 如果以外力使眼皮保持睜開, 眼球可能會掉出來。
§ Humans have more than 600 muscles in their bodies.
人體有六百條以上的肌肉。
§ It takes 17 muscles to smile and 42 to frown.
微笑只需要 17 條肌肉, 皺眉需要 42 條。
§ When someone annoys you, it takes 42 muscles to frown, but it only takes 4 muscles to extend your arm and whack them in the head.
當你討厭某人時, 皺眉需要 42 條肌肉, 但伸手敲他的頭只需要 4 條肌肉。
§ If you blink one eye you move over 200 muscles.
眨單眼需要運動 200 條以上的肌肉。
§ The strongest muscle in the body is the tongue.
人體最有力的肌肉是舌頭。
§ Every person has a unique tongue print.
每個人舌頭上的紋路都不一樣。
§ The life span of a taste bud is ten days.
味蕾的壽命是十天。
§ A person swallows approximately 295 times while eating dinner.
人吃一頓飯平均吞嚥 295 次。
§ After eating too much, your hearing is less sharp.
人吃太飽聽力會變差。
§ We drool more than three pints a day.
人一天的口水量超過 3 品脫 (約 3.4 公升)。
§ In your very own lifetime, you'll produce enough spit to fill two swimming pools.
人一生的口水量足以裝滿兩個游泳池。
§ The average human produces 10,000 gallons of saliva in a lifetime.
人一生的口水量平均是一萬加侖 (約 45450 公升)。
§ Your dad sweats enough each day to fill up a 6 pack of soda cans...and then some?
成年男性每天流汗量足以裝滿六瓶易開罐。
§ If the average male never shaved, his beard would be 13 feet long when he died.
男人如果一輩子不刮鬍子, 到死時鬍子將有 13 呎長。
§ Wearing headphones for just an hour will increase the bacteria in your ear by 700 times.
戴一小時的耳機, 耳中的細菌可以增加 700 倍。
§ The littel lump of flesh just forward of your ear canal, right next to your temple, is called a tragus.
耳朵前方鬢角旁突起的小肉團叫做耳珠 (tragus)。
§ The hair of an adult man or woman can stretch 25 percent of its length without breaking. If it is less elastic, it is not healthy.
成年人的頭髮可以拉伸 25% 而不會斷裂。 如果拉不到這個程度就表示頭髮不夠健康。
§ Intelligent people have more copper and zinc in their hair.
聰明人頭髮裡的銅和鋅含量比較多。
§ Laughing is aerobic. It provides a workout for the diaphragm and increases the body's ability to use oxygen.
笑是一種有氧運動。 它能鍛鍊橫隔膜, 並增加身體的耗氧率。
§ Laughing lowers levels of stress hormones and strengthens the immune system.
笑可以降低壓力荷爾蒙, 同時強化免疫系統。
§ Your fingernails grow four times as fast as your toenails.
手指甲生長的速率是腳指甲的四倍。
§ The thumbnail grows the slowest, and the middle nail grows the fastest.
拇指指甲長得最慢, 中指指甲最快。
§ The white part of your fingernail is called the lunula.
手指甲根部的白色部份叫做新月 (lunula)。
§ Fingernails are made from the same substance as a bird's beak.
指甲和鳥喙的成分其實是一樣的。
§ Your stomach produces a new layer of mucus every two weeks otherwise it will digest itself.
你的胃每兩週就得長出一層新黏液, 否則會把自己消化掉。
§ Every month you grow a brand new outer layer of skin.
人類每個月長出一層新的皮膚。
§ We shed 40 pounds of skin in a lifetime.
人一生要脫 40 磅 (約 18 公斤) 的皮。
§ If you ate too many carrots you would turn orange.
人吃太多胡蘿蔔時會變成橘色。
§ Brains are more active while sleeping than watching TV.
大腦睡覺的時候比看電視的時候活躍。
§ You burn more calories sleeping than you do watching TV.
睡覺時消耗的熱量比看電視的時候還多。
§ The average person falls asleep in seven minutes.
人通常在七分鐘之內就會睡著。
§ The colder the room you sleep in, the better the chances are that you'll have a bad dream.
臥房太冷的話睡覺容易做惡夢。
§ The average person has over 1,460 dreams a year.
人一年平均做 1460 個夢。
§ If you yelled for 8 years, 7 months and 6 days you would have produced enough sound energy to heat one cup of coffee.
如果連續吼叫 8 年 7 個月又 6 天, 產生的聲音能量正好可以加熱一杯咖啡。
§ If you farted consistently for 6 years and 9 months, enough gas is produced to create the energy of an atomic bomb.
如果連續放屁 6 年 9 個月, 釋放出氣體的能量相當於一顆原子彈。
§ Banging your head against a wall uses 150 calories an hour.
用頭撞牆消耗的熱量是每小時 150 大卡。
§ To burn off one plain M&M candy, you need to walk the full length of a football field.
想靠走路消耗一顆 M&M's 巧克力的熱量, 得走一整個足球場那麼長的距離。
§ The human heart creates enough pressure when it pumps out to the body to squirt blood 30 feet.
人類心臟的壓力可以將血液打到 30 呎高的地方。
§ Your heart beats over 100,000 times a day.
人一天心跳超過十萬次。
§ By the time your grandmother is 72 years old, her heart will have chalked up over two-and-a-half BILLION beats.
女性到 72 歲時心臟已經跳了 25 億次。
§ Platelets are manufactured at the rate of 200 billion a day.
人體每天製造兩千億個血小板。
§ A human fetus has fingerprints after three months.
人類胚胎在三個月大時就有指紋了。
§ Children grow faster in the spring.
小孩在春天長得比較快。
§ Babies are born without knee caps. They don't appear until the child reaches 2-6 years of age.
嬰兒出生的時候沒有膝蓋。 要直到 2~6 歲才會長出來。
§ The length of your foot is the same las that of your forearm between your wrist and the inside of your elbow? You're probably thinking "no way", but give it a try...you'll be amazed!
腳底板的長度跟前臂 (手腕到手肘內側) 剛好一樣。 不信就試試看吧。
§ Human teeth are almost as hard as rocks.
人類的牙齒跟石頭差不多硬。
§ you're born with 300 bones, but when you get to be an adult, you only have 206.
人出生的時候有 300 塊骨頭, 成年後只剩 206 塊。
§ Human thigh bones are stronger than concrete.
人類的大腿骨比水泥還堅固。
§ The hardest bone in the human body is the jawbone.
人體最硬的骨頭是下顎骨 (頷骨)。
§ The most sensitive finger on the human hand is the index finger.
人體最敏感的手指是食指。
§ The pupil of the eye expands as much as 45 percent when a person looks at something pleasing.
看到喜歡的東西時, 人類的瞳孔可以擴大 45%。
§ Our eyes are always the same size from birth, but our nose and ears never stop growing.
我們的眼球從出生以來大小都相同, 但鼻子和耳朵卻會不斷長大。
§ You blink your eyes about 20,000 times a day.
人一天眨眼超過兩萬次。
§ You blink about 84,000,000 times a year.
人一年眨眼約八千四百萬次。
§ Women blink nearly twice as much as men.
女性眨眼的次數幾乎是男性的兩倍。
§ Girls see better than boys in the dark.
黑暗中女性的視力比男性好。
§ Women prefer blue bedrooms more than other colors. Men prefer white bedrooms.
女性最喜歡的臥房顏色是藍色, 男性則是白色。
§ According to a Kinsey survey, 75% of men ejaculate within three minutes of penetration.
根據金賽性學報告, 75% 的男人在抽插三分鐘內射精。
§ Men can read smaller print than women; women can hear better.
相對於女性, 男性可以看清更小的字體。 不過女性的聽力比較好。
§ Women's hearts beat faster than men's.
女性的心跳比男性快。
§ It is impossible to lick your elbow.
人舔不到自己的手肘。(還是有極少數例外: Elbow Lick)
§ Over 75% of people who read this will try to lick their elbow.
75% 以上的人看完本文會嘗試舔自己的手肘。